Monday, June 29, 2009

Sometimes people may wonder why it takes so long for me to update. Well, sometimes there is no electricity. This is why I can say that Ghana is for lovers: you'll have so many candlelit dinners you'll vomit roses. You'll also start to go to bed at 8pm, just like your beloved grandma, becuase it's dark and you are lonely and have nothing better to do. So let me add: Ghana is for lovers and for grandparents.

The rainy season is here! After a full winter of excruciating 80-90 degree days and fair sunny skies, I am delivered into days of constant rainfall. The humidity is giving that extra 10%, thus remaining at 110% for the long haul. Some things that have gotten moldy and mildewy: Dry clothes hanging inside my home, my supposedly well sealed shelf stable margerine, wooden matches inside the matchbox, my kitchen table, the two foot section that rings the bottom of my home, and my dress shoes, but not any other shoes for some reason.

The unpaved roads have now turned into mud with a slickness like a frozen river. Although I haven't fallen yet, those who do end up sadly looking like they crapped themselves. From this, however, you can create a strategy: If you have ameobic dysentary and, ahem, couldn't make it, you could just fall in the mud and and receive sympathy instead of embarrassment. I haven't had need to try this yet, but if I do, I'll let you know what my success level is.

The main excitement of the rainy season is the arrival of the grafted mango. For a few months we have been getting these tiny yellow local mangoes which are tasty enough, but stringy and not the most satisfying. Last week I bought a grafted mango the size of a cow heart for under one dollar. It tasted like your wedding night and almost made me pass out from its greatness. Yes, feel free to envy me here. For you science buffs: a grafted mango is when they take a green branch from a cultivar that produces the desired variety and graft it onto the root stock of the small local variety for hardiness.

That's it for now! Take care and eat well.

2 comments:

  1. Marion and I are cracking up at the KSO... you are ridiculous

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm researching on mangoes and grafting. Apparently, that's not what this post is about.

    But I clicked on the pictures and it's hilarious! Tasted like your wedding night indeed!

    ReplyDelete